Every year the month of February is designated as National Heart Month. Agencies and organizations such as the American Heart Association and the Center for Disease Control use the month as a time to raise awareness about heart disease. What many people are surprised to learn is heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. In fact, more people die from heart disease each year than from all forms of cancer combined.
Heart disease is actually an all-encompassing term used to describe a variety of heart related illnesses ranging from coronary artery disease to congenital heart defects. The physical damage done to the heart and blood vessels can be very painful. Added to that physical pain are difficult to manage symptoms like anxiety and shortness of breath. The result can be a poor quality of life for people with heart disease.
Hospice & Heart Disease
Halcyon Hospice can provide comfort to patients living with end stage heart disease. We can help:
- Provide early intervention to help avert fluid overload caused by damage to the heart.
- Prevent frequent trips to the emergency room to manage symptoms such as angina, fatigue and shortness of breath.
- Provide support to help cope with anxiety and fear.
Paying for Hospice Care
Most insurance companies and Medicare Part A will pay for hospice care. Under Medicare, a patient is eligible for hospice when their physician believes that if the disease follows its natural course, they have six months or less to live. Symptoms that could indicate end stage heart disease and hospice eligibility include:
- Heart medications are no longer helping to manage symptoms
- Symptoms are occurring even at rest
- Shortness of breath or pain so severe it limits patients from going about their normal activities
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Growing number of complications and medical conditions
If you or your loved one are struggling to manage a heart related illness, the Halcyon Hospice care team can help you determine if you are eligible for hospice care. Please call us at 855-328-1700 or visit our website at www.ExcellenceInHospice.com to find a location near you.